SPRING-ARMS: MasterPath/HuenDo - Wall Mountable Chi Sao Spring Arms
SHIPPING UPDATE: Due to new COVID related restrictions (Nov 2020) shipping times with normal mail have greatly increased (up to 10 weeks we've seen so far) and tracking is rarely updated. We know it costs extra, but highly recommend using DHL at this time. We are offering both options. DHL has full tracking and speedy delivery.
This Spring Arm Chi Sao Device from HuenDo and MasterPath allows you to attach a pair of spring arms to your wall specifically designed, weighted and angled to help facilitate your chi sau technique training.
The device comes as three parts (refer to the diagram in the pictures section for the corresponding letters/numbers), the wooden base (A), the frame and spring-arm (B), and the punching pad (C). To install the device, you have to fasten the wooden base to the wall using 4 wall anchors (1), 4 screws (2) and washers (3), then you screw the aluminum frame that carries the spring-arms to the wooden base using the anti-vibration washers (5) and the nuts (6).
Note: The Wall bag DOES NOT come with the device, you can buy a wall bag here if you have not have one already: https://www.everythingwingchun.com/wallbags-wing-chun-s/109.htm. With the purchase you will qualify for $25 off a wall bag here at EWC. The $25 discount could also covers a portion of shipping. There is no way to automate this at the moment - so you just need to email us after you order the device for a special coupon.
These spring arms are made for exercising techniques, positioning, and proper body structure in relation to sticky hands (chi sau) training. The spring's strength was chosen specifically for chi sau.
Although human arms are the perfect "device" to train chi sao with, you cannot always have a partner willing to exercise with you. The second best device is this spring arm mount. You can train yourself with this device any time you like as much as you like. You can do countless exercises, advance your attack combinations, train one-arm or two-arm chi sao patterns/drills, or just workout and strengthen your structure and techniques to be better the next time you have a training session with your partners.
The only thing you must keep in mind is to maintain a proper structure while training and keep your techniques as perfect as you can. Ask your Wing Chun Sifu's advice on how to train using spring arms - or just check out any of the numerous videos on chi sao, and start practicing step by step.
Parts Included: 4 x anchors (1), 4 x washers (2), 4 x screws for brick walls (3), 2 x Anti-Vibration Washers (5), 2 x nuts (6), and a 17 mm Nut socket tool.
TOOLS NEEDED: 13mm hex socket wrench for screwing the brick wall screws (3), Screws for drywall studs.
- For fastening the wooden base to the wall use the wall plugs the washers and the screws (1), (2), (3).
- For fastening the aluminum frame to the wooden base use the Anti-Vibration Washers and the nuts (5), (6) .
- The Pre-drilled holes for mounting are 16 inches apart. Screws for drywall studs are not included.
- To stabilize the punching pad to the aluminum frame you only have to fit the extended threads on the corners of the aluminum frame (4) into the holes that are pre drilled on the foam (7).
We recommend that you place the wooden base to the wall so that the center-line of the wooden base is standing at the 2/3 of your height. (see picture) . If you do so the tips of the arms will come in to your chest level. For placing the wooden base horizontally to the floor you can use a bubble level as shown in the picture.
- Multi-angled arms (11 degrees inwards 14 degrees upwards) for better simulation of the human arm structure while doing chi sao.
- Medium strength springs for more realistic pressure during chi sao exercises.
- High-Quality materials put through rigorous testing.
- Extra stable mounting system.
- Spring system gives mobility to simulate a human arm in the correct angles for Chi Sao (vs other spring arm training).
- Fine quality hardwood arms with an excellent finish.
- Birch plywood base lacquer painted black.
- Includes a thick (20mm) removable punching pad.
Total Length of Arm: 38.3 cm (15 inches)
Length of Arm: 28 cm (11 inches)
Length of Spring: approx 10 cm (4 inches)
Width of Tip of Arm: 4 cm (1.57 inches)
Distance arms stick out from wall, including the mount: 45 cm (18 inches)
Wooden base dimensions: 48 x 13 x 3.5 (cm) (18.9 x 5.12 x 1.37 inches)
Spring Strength (as arm moves from center):
Moved 5 cm (1.96 in) = 3 kg (6.6 lbs)
Moved 11 cm (4.33 in) = 5 kg (11 lbs)
Moved 16 cm (6.3 in) = 7 kg (15.4 lbs)
Keep in mind the arms will bend further and the force will be greater - so be very careful. If your hand/arm slips after pushing the spring-arm a certain distance, the force of the rebound can cause serious injury.
Springs and Nuts: Hot Galvanized Steel
Arm: Beech Hardwood (painted black)
Frame: Lightweight extra-durable CNC machined solid aluminum.