Wing Chun Wooden Dummy (PRE-MADE)
An American-Made dummy without the 3 month wait!
The dummy bodies are already made and ready to stain. All you need to do is pick your color and stand! (Note if you want engravings on these, it can be done, but email us about that, it will just take longer). The dummy will ship in about 2 weeks after it is stained and your stand is made (vs the 4-12 months in the normal queue).
MasterPath's customizable pre-made Wing Chun wooden dummies have great specs and multiple options to choose from. Customize your Wooden Dummy today! (Note: This dummy has some custom options that may not match the picture. Please be sure to pick the exact options you want.)
This dummy is made in the USA to "Western" standards of high-quality craftsmanship.
The dummy exterior, base exterior, arms, and legs are all made from high-quality ASH or MAPLE wood. It is an excellent wood for dummies and will last a very long time. The interior post is Douglas Fir. Ash is used to make baseball bats and ax handles, so it is a great wood for the dummy exterior, arms and leg. The dummy wood is stained deeply and a gloss finish is layered on to help protect the wood for a long time.
Our wooden dummy is constructed using traditional Ip Man / Koo Sang measurements, with modifications based on Wong Shun Leung, Ip Ching, and Duncan Leung dummies. We took the measurements that were the same (or very close) across the different specs and standardized them. Where specs disagreed we researched why the differences existed and made adjustments so that this dummy can be used by any student of the Ip Man lineage without worry.
Dummy is 60 inches tall, with 9-inch diameter, and weighs 85 lbs (in ASH) + 10 lbs for the arms and legs. So approx 95 lbs for the dummy without the stand. Please keep in mind weights are an estimate only, as each dummy is different.
Level/Parallel or Traditional Arm settings:
The term parallel arms does not refer to the arms being parallel to each other (they are level with each other, not parallel). It refers to the fact that if you draw a line through the tips of the arms, that line is parallel to the floor. The arm tips are approximately level with each other.
These dummy arms naturally go into a more level/parallel position by default. Traditional Wing Chun wooden dummies usually have staggered arms where the left arm is higher than the right arm. With our wooden dummy, you can choose to have the arms staggered or level simply by rotating one of the arms. This gives you more flexibility and training options. If you rotate both arms you can get a large space between them, and if you rotate them one turn you can get a medium setting, but it can change the distance between the arm tips as well. So you have a few options if you don't want them to be parallel.
1) Modern Free-Standing Stand
a) Triangle Base +$145 USD. These options are not listed, but possible if you ask:
b) Triangle Base with Box +255 USD.
c) Corner Base +$155 USD
d) Elite (Hexagon) base +$220 USD
e) Elite (Hexagon) base with Box on back. +$360 USD
2) Frame Stand - Wall Mounted +$190 USD
3) Frame Stand - Free Standing +$340 USD
4) Corner Stand - Free Standing +$440 USD
5) Recoil Stand - Wall Mounted +$240 USD
6) Recoil Stand - Free Standing +$340 USD
Costs are added to base dummy price. These are not stand-alone prices.
These dummies are currently drop-shipped from the carpenter. If you are overseas (EU/Australia/UK) we can get you a custom shipping quote - just email us with your full address. Typically shipping overseas is $400-600+ USD via FedEx. And you must still pay all customs and VAT charges.
USA Shipping Rates:
BASE RATE is $95 USD for the dummy body. Add to that your extra cost to ship the stand:
1) Modern Free-Standing Stand
a) Triangle Base +45 These options are not listed, but possible if you ask:
b) Triangle Base with Box + 120
c) Corner Base +45
d) Elite (Hexagon) base +60
e) Elite (Hexagon) base with Box on back. +120
2) Frame Stand - Wall Mounted +40
3) Frame Stand - Free Standing +60
4) Corner Stand - Free Standing +80
5) Recoil Stand - Wall Mounted +35
6) Recoil Stand - Free Standing +40
Canadian Shipping Rates are usually about double, as a rule of thumb. Contact us with your an address if you want to order and need an exact quote to Canada
Build time can vary greatly based on the current queues. This dummy can take 2-4 weeks to construct (depending on the stand you pick and queue of orders) and drop-ships from the carpenter. We can't guarantee how long it will take since it varies so much based on current demand and queues. Quite often the normal queue is an 12-18 week wait, so these pre-made dummies are a great deal.
General Dummy Specs:
Dummy Height: 60 inches for the body + 5 inches for the stand = 65 inches (1.65 meters)
Trunk Diameter: Approx 9 inches
Dummy Weight: 95 lbs approx with arms and leg.
Total Weight : Approx 135 lbs (61 KG) + 30 lbs for Additional Box.
- From Floor to center of the top arms = 52 inches (1.32m). The 4 spacers can make that 55 inches.
- Space Between upper arms and mid arm = 9.5 inches.
- Space Between mid arm and leg = 13 inches.
- Space between the tips of two upper arms = 9 inches when in level position.
- Slat Holes made to accommodate slats that are 2 1/8 inches tall by 1 1/4 inches wide.
- Space Between Slat holes for Mounting to Frame Stands = 42 inches
Leg Tenon is 2.25 x 2.25 inches thick.
Dummy Arm Tenons are 1 5/8 x 1 5/8 inches
* MasterPath offers a lifetime warranty on the dummy trunks.
* All dummies are constructed of a patented 9 board laminating process.
** Don't know how high the dummy should be off the ground? ** Read this article: http://www.shopwingchun.com/how-high-to-mount-your-wing-chun-dummy/
- When using a modern free-stand in the square or elite configuration, From Floor to center of the top arms = 52 inches (1.32m). The 4 spacers can make that 55 inches. If you need the arms higher, just let us know. If using a free-standing recoil stand let us know if you need the arms to be higher. All other stands you can mount to your exact height.