Ras Kune Do Wing Chun Butterfly Swords (Collector's Series)
(a.k.a. Wing Chun Butterfly Knives, Bart Jarm Do, Bot Jaam Dao, Hudiedao)
The Ras Kune Do Butterfly Swords are a very limited 1st edition collector's item (only 4 available) commissioned by Sifu David Rasko. Almost 2 years went into the detailed design of this sword. They are beautiful and very comfortable 12" choppers with a trapping quillon... (read more below).
Specific Specs For This Sword:
For more info please read our blog post: Everything Wing Chun Butterfly Swords Guide
Series: Sifu Series. The Sifu series are unique designs and/or fine quality weapons.
Blade Style: Chopper Blade
Blade Length: 12 inches (31 cm)
Blade Steel: High-Quality 440C
Blade Grind: Hollow-Grind
Blade Sharpness: Sharp
Blade Finish: Glossy
Blade Ricasso/Choil: These swords have a Ricasso.
Blade Fuller: These swords have fully functional fullers (blood groove).
Blade Tapers: These swords have profile and distal tapes for improved function and balance.
Tang: Full Hidden Tang
D-Guard Metal: AISI 304 Stainless Steel.
Knuckle-Bow: Custom Design
Handle Material: Wood Grain Phenolic (Micarta™ type material)
Handle Angle/Alignment: Straight Handle. Aligned to tip and spine.
Handle Shape: Straight Bellied Ergonomic.
Handle Type: Full Handles
Flipping vs Trapping: Trapping Only.
Sword Measurements: 17 inches overall (43.5cm)
Sword Weight: approx 1kg (2 lbs each)
Design: Modell Design, LLC / David Rasko
Forge Master: K. Ali
Notes: These swords are hand-made. No two swords are perfectly identical. Small variations in the measurements are typical. Please read #2 under "Things you should know" and "Not Product Defects" under the warranty for more information.
Case/Sheath: A free sheath will be provided for these swords. Sheaths are offered as free gifts and are given to you "as-is". Blades that are sharp come with a leather sheath that have a nylon interior. Blunt blades come with a nylon sheath. One should not store swords in leather sheaths long term because the chemicals in leather can corrode/tarnish metal. IMPORTANT: Some of the leather sheathes have a metal rivet on the inside that can scratch the blades. The sheath maker considers the exposed shiny rivet head normal construction. We don't. The fix is to put a piece of Gorilla Tape over the rivet - please do this.
General Product Information, From Sifu Rasko:
Here are a few notes on these blades:
1) D-Guard. The D Guard is heavy duty, designed so that you can defend or attack with every part of it (and protect your hand). It is superior in design to the historical precedents in that it uses AISI 304 stainless steel, a far more durable material, rather than primitive iron, brass or the lower quality Chinese steels available historically. The quillon is specialized for trapping and represents the culmination of decades of martial arts experience and years of research and expensive research and development by EWC and Modell Design LLC, the top purveyor of high quality Wing Chun Butterfly Swords and foremost international Butterfly Sword design shop (recognized in Wing Chun Illustrated), respectively. Not only is the architecture outstanding for trapping an opposing weapon and the post heavily strengthened on the assumption the opposing weapon is real, the quillon tip is solid enough for serious eye gouging. Note the thickness and curved profile of the knucklebow that protects the hand. These two factors make it extremely strong and capable of surviving heavy impacts that would crush historical precedents as well as great for bashing. Further, note how the knucklebow skims comfortably outside the hand without surplus space. That minimal profile, characteristic of the popular Ku Sang design, reduces the odds of an accidental intersect between the knucklebow and an opponent's weapon. The edges of the knucklebow are rounded both to protect the user's hand and to minimize surplus weight while maximizing structural integrity. Finally, there is a healthy pommel capable of punching or bashing as opposed to the weak, thin traditional historical design.
2) The handle is a straight handle appealing to traditionalists and experts trained on straight handles. It is ergonomic for better comfort, lower fatigue and improved retention. The fat point is moved forward cola bottle fashion so that it fits the curvature of the hand rather than centered as with the typical jian style handle. It is a modern commando knife style handle adapted for a much larger weapon.
3) Blade style: These are chopper style blades optimized for slicing and chopping. They represent years of thought by Wing Chun expert Sifu Rasko and are his personal design. The mild forward rake of the cutting edge increases its length (more linear cutting edge) and improves the "bite" on chops and slices. Blades feature true fullers on each side, reducing weight while maintaining structural integrity, not the cheap shallow cosmetic "blood groves" seen on most Chinese Butterfly Swords.
4) Many RKD blade models have a wide hollow grind, a feature commonly requested on full custom Butterfly Swords costing $3,500 and up per pair. These grinds, expertly done at the Iron Man Steel forge (who produced the famous Wing Chun Integral Knives), make the swords look deadly sharp even if the edges are true blunts. Hollow grind weapons are intended for individual practice or blade on flesh. Lenticular (convex) ground edges have more edge support but without question lack the aesthetic appeal.
5) Blade steel: The blade steel is imported high quality Bohler steel, professionally tempered to a weapon's grade that balances the need for hardness with the need for resilience.
6) There is a full tang for maximum strength; it runs the entire width and length of the handle. This is a much stronger tang than the historical combat proven hidden tang. Further, the D Guard is connected to the blade via industrial grade welding which is a far stronger joining than the historical method of peening at the butt.
7) The handle scales are an extraordinarily beautiful wood grain phenolic (micarta™ type material), with a gloss finish that is comfortable to grip and facilitates retention by the naked hand. The scales are glued and triple-pinned to the full tang.
8) Blade and D guard are an outstanding high gloss finish that you just don't see on swords in this price range outside of products from the same design/limited production team.
9) Fit and finish _ speak for themselves. Puts these weapons in a whole different class from the brand X competitors.
Things to Consider Before Ordering:
1) Customers (you) must check with your local laws to determine the legality of all items ordered. Everything Wing Chun, LLC is not responsible for any items seized by customs and will not knowingly make shipments to countries where any items are illegal. By placing an order, you are representing to Everything Wing Chun that the products ordered are lawful in your local jurisdiction and that you will use the products in compliance with all applicable laws. Customer accepts full responsibility and costs for all customs fees. Everything Wing Chun will not replace or refund any sword confiscated by local authorities or customs agents. To date we've not seen any swords confiscated. If you are in Australia we know you need a permit for swords (even when not sharp), but you might be able to have them delivered to a local knife shop. All swords, unless otherwise noted, are shipped as blunt display weapons, which technically they are.
2) These are handmade. There will be very slight "imperfections" on most swords. For example, you might have slight variations in weight (we tried to match the swords within 10 grams), the quillion or blade shape won't match 100%, etc. These type of things are NOT defects. It is the result of humans making and shaping every aspect of the sword. These "imperfections", when they exist, have already been priced into these swords.
3) Plain Language Disclaimer: You won't sue us for anything related to using these swords for any reason what-so ever. If you drop one on your foot, chop a friends finger off, poke your eye out, or the swords break and you get hurt - or whatever - you agree that is your own fault and won't hold us responsible. That includes Everything Wing Chun, Aaron Cantrell, Jeffrey Modell, Modell Design LLC, or any members, other persons, entities, associates, suppliers or resellers. See the tab on Warranty Info of the page for the full legal disclaimer.
(READ PRIOR TO PURCHASE!)
Binding Agreement: The terms of this Agreement govern your purchase and/or possession of the product (and all transferees), which is a pair of Butterfly Swords (hereafter the term "Product" refers to one or both swords, as applicable). If you had no opportunity to review these terms prior to purchase or receipt and decline to be bound, return the Product to your seller or transferor immediately.
Assumption of Risk, Indemnity, Representations: This Product is a real weapon (even if the edge is blunt) and therefore inherently dangerous at all times. Do not use (as used herein "use" and its variations include but are not limited to martial arts practice, demonstrations, combat, cleaning, transport, display, other storage and possession) except after proper training, under expert supervision, and with great care. Do not use for two-person training. If the edge is sharp, use for display purposes only. You understand that using the Product is an inherently dangerous activity. You voluntarily assume the risk of all personal injury (including but not limited to maiming and death of self and others) and damages resulting from use of the Product for training, combat or otherwise. You hereby agree to release and hold harmless (i) Everything Wing Chun, LLC and its member(s), owner(s), and personnel ("EWC"), Aaron Cantrell, (ii) Modell Design LLC, its member(s), owner(s) and personnel, Jeffrey D. Modell, and (iii) their supplier(s) and reseller(s) (hereafter "Us"), from any and all liability and negligence resulting in personal injuries, death or damages, losses, fees and expenses, including actual attorneys' fees, arising from use of the Product ("Damages"). For example, if you stab yourself cleaning or practicing with them, drop one on your foot, chop a friend's finger off, poke your eye out, the swords break and you get hurt, a child picks them up and gets hurt, or whatever, you agree that is your own fault and won't hold Us responsible. This Agreement clearly and unambiguously exculpates Us from even our own negligence and the consequences thereof, but not gross negligence or intentional misbehavior.
In plain language, assuming we are not grossly negligent or evil, you won't sue Us successfully for injury or damages resulting from the swords for any reason what-so-ever, and we really mean it. Your sole remedy for problems is the Limited Warranty below.
You represent to Us that (i) you are at least 18 years of age, (ii) the Product is lawful in your local jurisdiction, (iii) you will use the Product in compliance with all applicable laws, and (iv) you will not to loan or transfer the Product to anyone who does not agree to be bound by the provisions of this Agreement. You agree to indemnify, defend, and hold Us harmless from any and all Damages arising from or related to your breach of these representations.
Limited Warranty: The only warranty on this product is a Limited Warranty against defects in materials and workmanship from EWC in lieu of all other warranties, express or implied, including fitness for any intended use, subject to the following terms and conditions. The Limited Warranty extends for 30 days from the date of purchase. If you purchased this product directly from EWC, EWC will replace, repair, or refund the price paid, the option at its discretion. These are the only remedies for any warranty claim or other claim, including but not limited to Damages, available from Us; provided, however, if you purchased this product from an authorized reseller, we will recommend they offer a similar 30 day Limited Warranty protection. Your claim must include original proof of purchase showing seller, price and date of purchase.
Not Product Defects: This product was made by hand. Normal variations in construction, appearance and weight that are characteristic of the materials or hand work are not defects. Minor pitting is normal for our cast and hot drop forged D Guards and hot drop forged integral swords. High carbon steel and good stainless steel can corrode, pit, rust and tarnish. Water and humid conditions promote these. Never store a knife or sword in or near a leather sheath as the tanning acids or vapors can cause rapid corrosion. Brass tarnishes over time. The handle scales are a wood product and therefore can expand or contract when exposed to varying humidity and temperature (though, depending on the materials used, they may have been stabilized with glue or resin reducing the impact). The above are natural characteristics of the workmanship or materials and not product defects.
Advice on Care: These are high-end swords made with weapons grade stainless or "semi-stainless" steel that will rust absent proper care. We recommend cleaning them with rubbing alcohol after each use or touch, waxing with Renaissance Wax (or a similar non-acidic wax) as needed, and periodically stripping, cleaning and re-waxing them. Keep dry and do not store in damp or humid area, or in direct sunlight. For more info read the full article Combating Rust on Swords ( June 28, 2011).
Neglect: Blade tests shown on Everything Wing Chun's website are dangerous and should not be duplicated. Any knife/sword can be broken or damaged if subjected to sufficient abuse. These destructive tests CONSTITUTE GROSS ABUSE OF A SWORD and will void all warranties.
Law and Forum: This Agreement is governed by the laws of the State of Wyoming, USA without regard to its conflict of law rules, and any dispute shall be finally resolved by the courts of the State of Wyoming. You agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the courts of said state.
Blue Pencil Clause: If any provision herein is held to be unenforceable, then this Agreement shall be construed or deemed amended to the extent necessary to render the otherwise unenforceable provision, and the rest of the Agreement, valid and enforceable. If a court declines to so construe or amend this Agreement, the invalidity or unenforceability of any provision(s) of this Agreement shall not affect the validity or enforceability of the remaining provisions, which shall be enforced as if the offending provision(s) had not been included in this Agreement.